Thursday, May 10, 2012

Rare Games - Sinistar

Beware, I live!

Sinistar was one of the first arcade games that had real voices used in it's gameplay, and it was terrifying at the time. Now, with the home games as advanced as they are, characters talk all the time, but this was revolutionary at the time.

Unfortunately, this game came out in 1982, which marked the beginning of the end for the "classic arcade." It was a revolutionary game in not only the voice, but also the fact that it was the first game to use stereo sound in the sitdown version.

I don't have a Sinistar cabinet, but I wanted to share a picture of the sitdown version of it. It is my goal to find one of these someday, but they come at a hefty price, and for good reason. They are very large, and would be nearly impossible to ship. But they are damn cool. Check it out.


The next few blogs I make will be about some of my favorite games, like this one. I only played Sinistar several times in the early 1980's, but I was fortunate enough to actually play it in one of these sit down machines. It did scare me some at first, but it's a type of jumpy game that you want to keep coming back to. Someday, I will add one of these to my collection.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. Thank you for reading!

-Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment