Monday, May 28, 2012

I watched the VHS tape that was in the cabinet.

Today I watched the tape that was inside the weird black cabinet I got a little over a week ago. A friend of mine had a VHS player so I watched it with him. I'm not really sure where to begin, but I will try to describe it as best I can. Eventually I will try to show the video on my blog.

The tape was in awful condition, and the quality was lacking. It was very short, just a few minutes, and it was a simple shot of someone standing next to two other arcade machines, both of them painted black. (You could only see the back of one, but the other you could see the side and it was black.)

While it skipped a bit, I got a lot out of it. The man talking about it claimed to be a "Phillip Bergman," a game developer, but I searched his name online for almost an hour and couldn't find anything about him or his company. Maybe I spelled it wrong, there are numerous ways to spell Phillip and Bergman, so who knows. He seemed to have some sort of European accent, but I honestly can't tell what is what when it comes to accents.

He was the lead developer on this particular machine. He claimed that development almost stopped due to people getting sick or having seizures from playing the game. He also said in it's later development stage that it could cause amnesia, although people would remember "elements" of the game, and they would be able to make them remember phrases or something, but not the game. The end of the video the quality gets incredibly bad, so it's hard to understand what he is saying, but never once in the video does he seem comfortable, he is always quite fidgety.

I wish I knew what game he is talking about, but I don't remember ever playing a game that was like that (although who would if it caused amnesia?)

The only clue I have is there was a marquee laying next to one of the machine, and it appears to end in "IS" or "US." It was blue or green, but it was really hard to see in the video.

I'll try to show the video here soon. It's really odd, and I'm not even sure if it's real. I emailed the man I bought it from again, and hopefully he responds soon. If you happen to have any idea what this game might be, I'm definitely willing to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment